Thursday, October 13, 2011

Mornings













Maybe it's because I want to make it this way, but mornings at the Duggals are a magical time. The sun rises about 6:00 am and sets about 6:00pm - dawn and dusk are quick to pass. The day starts earlier for some than for others - for me, I'm laying in bed sleeping when I hear the distant call to prayer from the local mosque. It's hypnotic and conjurs up images of people greeting the day with visits to their house of worship. I think this starts somewhere around 5:00 am.

Not long after comes the ringing of the bells at the also distant Hindu temple. Another group of people getting up to greet the day. I'm up before my 6:00am alarm - it just seems too harsh of a wake up call compared to the others.

I walk out onto the veranda and put the kettle on to boil. The garden is still sleeping as well, but soon, as I'm drinking my first cup of coffee, it starts to stir - chipmunks seem to own the ground - skampering up and down the trees and along the borders. Birds claim the top - chasing and flitting from tree to tree chasing each other...and then...the sun breaks over the foothill, slowly illuminating the beautiful peach roses I've been watching blossom since I arrived. There are 5 in bloom now. The dappled sun bring everything to life. Suddenly, there are an endless number of greens and the rose bushes appear to be strategically planted so the rays of the sun shine like spotlights on their fresh blooms. Or maybe the sun finds them, I can't tell.

It only lasts for about 45 minutes, this perfect, quiet sanctuary. Soon, cars and trucks start passing by and the sounds of everyday life break the spell...until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment